Ever feel tightness around your head? It's definitely not a headache, but it's definitely uncomfortable. That feeling is most likely coming from an unhealthy scalp—and you need to take action.
What's causing the tightness?
1. Poor blood circulation
Blood circulation plays an important role in bringing a nice flow of nutrients to your scalp. As circulation slows down, so does the amount of nutrients going to your scalp, eventually weakening the muscles around your head.
When moisture level goes down, your scalp starts to dry up causing stiffness and sometimes flakiness. Although there are many factors that may cause dryness, washing your hair with an overpowering shampoo can definitely strip away the essential oils in your scalp.
3. UV Rays
There are several types of UV rays, but the most damaging ones are the UV-As which penetrate deep into your scalp. This causes tightness in your scalp because it destroys the collagen and elastin that normally supports elasticity in your skin.
What can you do to loosen up your scalp?
1. Add scalp massages to your regular hair regimen to enhance blood circulation.
2. Consume foods and supplements that stimulate blood circulation:
-Vitamin A (carrots, spinach, etc.)
-Vitamin B6 (tuna, parsley, bananas etc.)
-Glycogen (via supplements)
3. Keep alcohol to a minimum. It takes a lot of energy for your liver to break down alcohol and all the vitamin A and B6 you've consumed to promote your blood circulation will be wasted on it.
4. Stretch and engage in moderate exercise. Bad posture also slows down your blood circulation, so make sure you maintain a good posture.
5. Use amino acid shampoo for hydrating and nourishing your dry scalp.
You may have never paid attention, but healthy scalp is vital to healthy, beautiful hair. Start caring for your scalp and you'll start to notice the difference. Let our expert hairstylists know if you've got any questions!